The process of starting a business can be both challenging and rewarding. But what about starting a business with your spouse and growing that business into an internationally recognized online brand and movement.
On this very special episode of Gen X Amplified, we not only have just one guest – but for the first time ever, we are speaking with a dynamic married couple – Lamar Tyler and Ronnie Tyler from the very popular website: BlackandMarriedWithKids.com.
Click below to subscribe!
Lamar Tyler and Ronnie Tyler are the husband-and-wife power pair behind the very popular and internationally recognized brand, BlackandMarriedWithKids.com – which has become the largest independent, African American marriage and parenting website.
They founded the website in 2007 after finding themselves frustrated with the negative images of black marriage in the media. Now recently, the website has grown from a small personal blog to an international brand with nearly 500,000 Facebook fans.
Also through their company, Tyler New Media, Lamar directed and produced four Amazon best-selling films; Still Standing, Men Ain’t Boys, You Saved Me and Happily Ever After: A Positive Image of Black Marriage – which deals with the challenges and triumphs of marriage in the black community.
Along with managing the very popular website and producing the films, Lamar and Ronnie travel the country speaking on parenting and marriage-related topics to a variety of media outlets, and give advice to aspiring bloggers on how to build their brands.
As our featured guests on today’s episode of Gen X Amplified, I chat with Lamar and Ronnie about their professional journey, the dynamic of balancing entrepreneurship and marriage, and also the methods they use to build such a massive brand and movement.
Key Takeaways From This Episode:
- Why having a shared vision is essential for married couples looking to start a business together.
- How Lamar and Ronnie initially came up with the concept for a blog specifically targeting African-Americans families.
- Why listening to your audience and delivering consistent value can help you gain a massive following and spearhead a movement
- Why they decided to start with a self-hosted WordPress platform for their website instead of a free alternative.
- The primary social media networks that Lamar and Ronnie use to grow their audience and drive traffic back to the website.
- Why email marketing is so important to nurture relationships and build your brand.
- And so much more!
Awesome Resources from this Episode:
- Black and Married With Kids
- Facebook Page
- Generation One
- “Love and Happiness” by Al Green
- “Hustle Hard” by Ace Hood
- The Gatekeepers Are Gone by Lamar Tyler
- Lamar Tyler’s Website (get a free copy of his book)